Bill Campbell wrote:
On Tue, Jul 18, 2006, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
On Tue, Jul 18, 2006, Doug Summers wrote:

I can't build emacs from any version available. It keeps complaining
about the host type not being supported. I noticed that the code is
fairly old - is there a newer version available?
Which particular Emacs version on which AMD64-based OS have you tried?

I just tried this on SuSE Linux Enterprise 9 with an Athlon 64,
building emacs-21.4a-2.5.0.src.rpm.

The problem appears that the configure script at line 1643 recognizes
amd64*-*-*, and at line 1635 recognizes ia64*-*-* while the host system
type comes up with x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu.

It appears that some hacking is necessary on the configure file
to get the right combination.

I'm up to my a$$ in alligators now so don't have time to hack on
this (and I'm a vi bigot not emacs :-).

Bill

The Constitution is a written instrument.  As such, its meaning
does not alter.  That which it meant when it was adopted, it
means now.
-- SOUTH CAROLINA v. US, 199 U.S. 437, 448 (1905)

Supposedly the more recent CVS versions of Emacs fix this problem, but I haven't tested it yet.

Ralph - I'll give this a try later on tonight and let you know if it works and what version.

Doug