It seems that this is still a problem, at least it is for us on RHEL4
64-bit.  We have partially looked into this and found that it might be
able to be fixed with the newer release or maybe by doing some hacking
with shtool or whatnot to add in the new architectures to it's
detection.  I would think that just MFC'ing the newer version into the
2-Stable would be easiest though.  Could this be done?

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 13:33 -0700, Doug Summers wrote:
> Bill Campbell wrote:

> >> Which particular Emacs version on which AMD64-based OS have you tried?
> >
> > I just tried this on SuSE Linux Enterprise 9 with an Athlon 64,
> > building emacs-21.4a-2.5.0.src.rpm.
> >
> > The problem appears that the configure script at line 1643 recognizes
> > amd64*-*-*, and at line 1635 recognizes ia64*-*-* while the host system
> > type comes up with x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu.
> >
> > It appears that some hacking is necessary on the configure file
> > to get the right combination.
> >
> > I'm up to my a$$ in alligators now so don't have time to hack on
> > this (and I'm a vi bigot not emacs :-).
> >
> > Bill
> > --
> > INTERNET:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
> > FAX:            (206) 232-9186  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
> >
> > The Constitution is a written instrument.  As such, its meaning
> > does not alter.  That which it meant when it was adopted, it
> > means now.
> > -- SOUTH CAROLINA v. US, 199 U.S. 437, 448 (1905)
> > The OpenPKG Project                                    www.openpkg.org
> > User Communication List                      openpkg-users@openpkg.org
>
> Supposedly the more recent CVS versions of Emacs fix this problem, but I
> haven't tested it yet.
>
> Ralph - I'll give this a try later on tonight and let you know if it
> works and what version.
>
> Doug
> The OpenPKG Project                                    www.openpkg.org
> User Communication List                      openpkg-users@openpkg.org

--
David M. Fetter - UNIX Systems Administrator
Portland State University - www.oit.pdx.edu