On Wed, Jan 02, 2008, Alain Spineux wrote:

> I have some problem to understand the split between packages and
> framework and in particular this:
>
> >4. The exclusive rights to use the whole OpenPKG Framework was
> >  assigned by contract from Ralf S. Engelschall to the OpenPKG GmbH.
> >  The OpenPKG GmbH from now on is the official provider of the OpenPKG
> >  Framework, which technically includes the OpenPKG "bootstrap", the
> >  OpenPKG tool chain, the OpenPKG registry, etc. The OpenPKG GmbH will
> >  deliver the OpenPKG Framework under licenses which grant limited
> >  permission to use, copy, modify and distribute it.
>
> I dont understant very well what is the "Framework" or the place it
> take into the "Openpkg
> system"
> Does binutils-2.18-20071111.src.rpm (that is an important part of a tool
> chain)
> is part of the Framework or just a product/result of it ?
> Is the Framework, the infrastructure: tools, internal scripts or software,
> maybe the website, maybe a computer farms that help to generate the packages ?

The OpenPKG Framework is just the old "openpkg" (bootstrap) package and
the few corresponding "openpkg-*" packages. Technically it is still
shipped as the "openpkg" bootstrap package, but internally it contains
more functionality (e.g. RPM 5, "openpkg index", etc).

> Does this paragraph 4 change anything for kolab users or developers ?

No, nothing will change for the KOLAB *users* as long as the KOLAB
*developers* either stay with the old RPM 4 based OpenPKG or for using
the forthcoming RPM 5 based OpenPKG at least take explicit action to
once receive a custom "KOLAB license" from the OpenPKG GmbH which in
turn can be applied by all KOLAB users.

Notice that the new OpenPKG Framework will be licensed in various
distinct ways and so this mentioned "special KOLAB license" is already
planned by us. According to our current plan it will be some sort of a
reusable "free of charge" but "instance prefix is limited to /kolab"
license.

So, you should be effectively not have a drawback by the forthcoming
changes to the OpenPKG world order and instead even be more free than
currently as we additionally plan to even lift all current download
restrictions...
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com