On Jan 2, 2008 4:19 PM, Ralf S. Engelschall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008, Alain Spineux wrote:
>
> > I have some problem to understand the split between packages and
> > framework and in particular this:
> >
> > >4. The exclusive rights to use the whole OpenPKG Framework was
> > >  assigned by contract from Ralf S. Engelschall to the OpenPKG GmbH.
> > >  The OpenPKG GmbH from now on is the official provider of the OpenPKG
> > >  Framework, which technically includes the OpenPKG "bootstrap", the
> > >  OpenPKG tool chain, the OpenPKG registry, etc. The OpenPKG GmbH will
> > >  deliver the OpenPKG Framework under licenses which grant limited
> > >  permission to use, copy, modify and distribute it.
> >
> > I dont understant very well what is the "Framework" or the place it
> > take into the "Openpkg
> > system"
> > Does binutils-2.18-20071111.src.rpm (that is an important part of a tool
> > chain)
> > is part of the Framework or just a product/result of it ?
> > Is the Framework, the infrastructure: tools, internal scripts or software,
> > maybe the website, maybe a computer farms that help to generate the
> > packages ?
>
> The OpenPKG Framework is just the old "openpkg" (bootstrap) package and
> the few corresponding "openpkg-*" packages. Technically it is still
> shipped as the "openpkg" bootstrap package, but internally it contains
> more functionality (e.g. RPM 5, "openpkg index", etc).
>
> > Does this paragraph 4 change anything for kolab users or developers ?
>
> No, nothing will change for the KOLAB *users* as long as the KOLAB
> *developers* either stay with the old RPM 4 based OpenPKG or for using
> the forthcoming RPM 5 based OpenPKG at least take explicit action to
> once receive a custom "KOLAB license" from the OpenPKG GmbH which in
> turn can be applied by all KOLAB users.
>
> Notice that the new OpenPKG Framework will be licensed in various
> distinct ways and so this mentioned "special KOLAB license" is already
> planned by us. According to our current plan it will be some sort of a
> reusable "free of charge" but "instance prefix is limited to /kolab"
> license.

Can

The commercial hosting of kolab's service will remain free,
and the distribution of modified kolab package too.
Right ?

Maybe some samble in wich case your license in required could help to
understand.
Maybe a web page with sample like :

Company A wand to do ....... using OpenPgk.
OpenPKG GmbH will give/sell license to let then do .....
and only using the prefix /company_a

Regards

--
Alain Spineux