On Feb 17, 2009, at 9:54 AM, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

Am Dienstag, 17. Februar 2009 14:27:53 schrieb Ralf S. Engelschall:
I saw that you are deeply involved with rpm5(.org).
On rpm.org and rpm5.org I could not find statements on the relation of
both efforts and why rpm5 would be better than rpm4 in the long run.

Do you know such a document comparing the approaches? (Best would be from
a neutral point of view, but having the view of both groups would be
interesting as well)?

Some time ago I wrote a little bit on this topic:
http://trainofthoughts.org/blog/2008/01/06/rpm5-vs-rpm/

Thank for the pointer, your article was an interesting read.
Note that I still miss a technical comparison of rpm4 and rpm5, though.
It would be cool to have this be uptodate with 5.1.6 and 4.6.0.

There is nothing in rpm-4.6.0 that is not already in rpm-5.1.6.

If there is some detail I've missed perusing @rpm.org check-ins, point
out the flaw and I will instantly remedy @rpm5.org.

Meanwhile, if you need specific technical information about rpm5, ask on
<rpm-de...@rpm5.org> and I will supply details. In general, the functionality implemented @rpm.org and @rpm5.org is largely identical. The largest difference has to do with portability and the number of platforms on which the code runs. The code @rpm.org is more narrowly targeted at the needs of existing linux vendors.

73 de Jeff

OpenPKG                                             http://openpkg.org