On Tue, Feb 17, 2009, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> Am Montag, 16. Februar 2009 20:02:35 schrieb Ralf S. Engelschall:
> > Yes, the new RPM 5 based bootstrap is already based on GNU Tar 1.21 and
> > hence built just fine for me last week on a new Debian 5.0 box. This
> > boostrap will be made available to the public soon, too. Just be patient
> > a little bit more.
>
> Wouldn't be cool to also have an update to the current RPM4 based
> bootstrap? I fear upgrading will be a problem with all packages that
> we use for Kolab Server. What would I need to do to update the current
> bootstrap for tar 1.21? Would just updating tar 1.21 be enough?
> [...]

I don't know, perhaps. If the older GNU Tar is the only(!) problem under
Debian 5.0 it might be sufficient to upgrade just GNU Tar. But it could
be also that there are other corners which break under the newer Linux
distro versions. The new RPM 5 based bootstrap is suffciently different,
so I without trying I cannot say what else has to be touched. I just
know that the new RPM 5 based bootstrap worked out-of-the-box under a
Debian 5.0 (amd64) server last week...

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       r...@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com