Huie-Ying Lee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The  pam_pkcs11 module assumpts that all PKCS#11 tokens are smartcards,
> so it will display "Smart card" key word in the PAM prompt message.
> However,  most of the PKCS#11 tokens are not Smart cards. so we modified
> some prompt messages to avoid confusion when
> we ported this module to Solaris OS.
> Attached is the patch file,  please let me know if you have any comments.

You are thinking like a programmer, not a user. Users don't know what
PKCS#11 or slots are, or even what PAM is. They know they have a device
and a place to plug it in to use it for login with a PIN.

The use of the term Smart card "password" is also confusing. I would
prefer the the word PIN, as it is not a password.

You could make the word "Token" or "Smart card" in the prompts a PAM
parameter, and leave it up to the admin on what is used in the prompt.

I hope you are not thinking of using the Solaris PKCS#11 softtoken
for login. This may not offer any additional security over passwords
in /etc/passwd.

> Thanks,
> Huie-Ying

  Douglas E. Engert  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>