On 1/23/09, Andreas Jellinghaus <a...@dungeon.inka.de> wrote:
>  > It cannot be unless we explicitly specify some exceptions in OpenSC
>  > license. A plugin for LGPL should be also GPLed.
>  > Read [1] and on.
>

> opensc is not under GPL.

GPL and LGPL are the same, except of that none GPLed application can
be linked with LGPLed application.
But.... LGPL application/library cannot have none GPLed dependencies.
This is to allow GPLed application use LGPLed application without
breaking GPL chain.
So the rules of having a plugin to GPL or LGPL should be the same.

PKCS#11 or any standard interface which is not depended on a specific
implementation, is an edge condition I discussed with FSF and they
agreed that as long the application and the provider have not implicit
or explicit knowledge about each other it is OK.
You cannot say this on openct plugin as it is openct specific.

I hope this helps.
Alon.