On 1/23/09, Ludovic Rousseau <ludovic.rouss...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/23 Alon Bar-Lev <alon.bar...@gmail.com>:
>
> > On 1/23/09, Andreas Jellinghaus <a...@dungeon.inka.de> wrote:
>  >>  > It cannot be unless we explicitly specify some exceptions in OpenSC
>  >>  > license. A plugin for LGPL should be also GPLed.
>  >>  > Read [1] and on.
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> opensc is not under GPL.
>  >
>  > GPL and LGPL are the same, except of that none GPLed application can
>  > be linked with LGPLed application.
>

> Replace "application" by "code".

Right.

>  > But.... LGPL application/library cannot have none GPLed dependencies.
>

> A LGPL code can only depend on GPL code? Not even LGPL code?
>  So OpenSC (LGPL) can not use the GNU libc since glibc is LGPL and not GPL?

Sorry... LGPL can depend on GPL or LGPL (recursively)

>  > This is to allow GPLed application use LGPLed application without
>  > breaking GPL chain.
>  > So the rules of having a plugin to GPL or LGPL should be the same.
> As you write bellow the rules do not apply to plugins as long as the
>  plugin respect the publicly available interface.

This is not what I understand from [1].

[1] http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins

>  > PKCS#11 or any standard interface which is not depended on a specific
>  > implementation, is an edge condition I discussed with FSF and they
>  > agreed that as long the application and the provider have not implicit
>  > or explicit knowledge about each other it is OK.
> I agree with the FSF.

You agree with me... FSF was did not publish this in their FAQ no
matter who many times I asked.
This is one of the reason why gnupg developers do not support PKCS#11.

>  > You cannot say this on openct plugin as it is openct specific.
> Why is OpenCT plugin API different from "PKCS#11 API or any standard
> interface"?

Because it is meant to be used in [L]GPLed code.

>  Note: you can do whatever you want with a GPL code (mix with
>  proprietary code, etc.) as long as you do not _distribute_ it (but
>  keep it for yourself).

True.
And then you can patch it so it suits your needs.

Thanks,
Alon