Am Donnerstag 22 Oktober 2009 07:12:22 schrieb Martin Paljak:
> On 22.10.2009, at 0:01, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch 21 Oktober 2009 15:19:07 schrieb Martin Paljak:
> >> 1. For starters, we should rename the "main slogan" of OpenSC to
> >> something that's more up to date. The "supported cards" list could
> >> either be generalized or at least updated:
> >> http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/opensc
> >
> > ubuntu does not fix bugs. at least my statistic of bugs reported with
> > patches, testing and whatever else is possible vs. work accepted by
> > ubuntu is terrible. so the best way to get any change into ubuntu is
> > via the upstream debian maintainer.

> Grandpas use Ubuntu, developers use Debian.

I agree. but technically the best way to get a change into ubuntu seems
to be to get the change into the debian package, and ask ubuntu people
to sync with them.

> But the main issue - no useful information in package descriptions -
> is still valid. And valid for other distros as well. Take fedroa/
> redhat: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/opensc
> Distro maintainers can put there whatever they want, but we probably
> can suggest something that would be more useful and up to date and
> keep an eye on it.

ok, so lets discuss the text we want. I'm sure we can find a way to
get it into the distributions later.

in the suse spec file I found:
Group:          Productivity/Security
%description
OpenSC provides a set of libraries and utilities to access smart cards.
It mainly focuses on cards that support cryptographic operations. It
facilitates their use in security applications such as mail encryption,
authentication, and digital signature. OpenSC implements the PKCS#11
API. Applications supporting this API, such as Mozilla Firefox and
Thunderbird, can use it. OpenSC implements the PKCS#15 standard and
aims to be compatible with every software that does so, too.

Before purchasing any cards, please read carefully documentation in
/usr/share/doc/packages/opensc/wiki/index.html - only some cards are
supported. Not only card type matters, but also card version, card OS
version and preloaded applet. Only subset of possible operations may be
supported for your card. Card initialization may require third party
proprietary software.

but their list of authors has only the initial four...

what do you think, is that a good description to be pushed to
debian/ubuntu and fedora/redhat too?

Regards, Andreas