On 02.11.2009, at 16:12, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

>>> I think "detect" is wrong. If pcsc-lite is not installed you will
>>> not have a working configuration but you will not be warned either.
>>
>> I tried to suggest a method of addressing this; check that support
>> for some reader type has been enabled, and refuse to continue
>> otherwise.
>>
>> Does that seem reasonable?
>>

> Yes. although this way you cannot use CTAPI alone.

My proposal:

1. Make CT-API configurable and optional. Users who *know* they want
CT-API, should enable it. This would bring all reader systems on the
same level (currently it is impossible to leave out CT-API)
2. Enable (and try to detect detect) PC/SC by default. It is the only
default method on all platforms, apparently also endorsed by many. But
allow to disable it.
3. Fail configure if no reader access mechanism is enabled/found.

I have received tons of e-mails about 1) Error: can't open /var/run/
openct/status: No such file or directory (reason: openct being enabled
but not used on Ubuntu/Debian) 2) things that suppress_errors did not
hide but were harmless (somewhat a bug in card-mcrd.c, but still a
thing to notice)  3) things that went to sc_error but were also
harmless (like SCARD_E_NO_SERVICE and other PC/SC issues)

2 and 3 have been fixed for 0.12, the OpenCT thing probably depends on
up to date OpenCT version and/or distro packaging. But making it clear
what gets used is definitely a good thing.

--
Martin Paljak
http://martin.paljak.pri.ee