2010/2/3 Crypto Stick <cryptost...@privacyfoundation.de>:
> Hi!
> We are developing an Open Source security token (based on the OpenPGP
> Card) which works as a smart card adapter. (
> https://www.privacyfoundation.de/crypto_stick/ )
>
> We discovered that Windows seems to cache each USB smart card adapter
> (probably each USB device) which was once connected to the system
> according to its serial number noted in USB interface. To avoid privacy
> issues due to this behaviour we would like to replace the individual USB
> serial number of the Crypto Stick with a generic one (e.g. 0000...). I
> am wondering if this might result in any other problems especially when
> using two or more Crypto Sticks at the same time in the same computer.
>
> Do you assume any problems with a generic USB serial number especially
> when using the stick (or several sticks at the same time) with OpenSC?

If you do not want to set a serial number then do not use it at all.
_Many_ smart card readers do not have a USB serial number, with no
problem I know of.

If your devise has a USB serial number it will be displayed in the
PC/SC name by pcsc-lite. The PC/SC reader name will be something like:
"Crypto Stick (serial) 00 00".

So if your serial number is meaningless and always 00000 I suggest to
just remove it.

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau