On Feb 11, 2010, at 16:34 , Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010 15:27:56 schrieb Martin Paljak:
>> What about EMV - we don't support EMV cards in any way and probably never
>> will in near future, do the "EMV card, but can't do anything with it"
>> information seems useful or not?
>
> I all for it. in fact unusable driver seem to confuse users, we had
> a number of mails asking for help, when there was no complete driver.
> so maybe it is best to disable all drivers that are only stubs.
> that would include acos5 too, for example.
Agreed.

ACOS5 is easy to get, they have a public doc and and they are quite cheap.
Hopefully somebody steps up when there is time to write a crypto-aware driver
for it.

I'll remove the emv when moving the Javacard piece as well.

>> I would suggest to remove the emv driver and leave such tasks to pcsc_scan
>> instead (unlike JavaCards where we should get a tutorial on how to load
>> and personalize an applet to use with OpenSC).
>
> btw: any idea how difficult it is to load a java applet on a javacard?
./gpj.sh -load applet.cap -install -list

> I know gpshell and other projects can do that. if it is complex, we should
> point people there, but if it is easy, as sending a few APDUs with the code
> as payload, then we could write a small tool for that, so people had one
> less tool/dependency to worry about. not sure what is best here.
I think that it is easier to re-use others code for the task of loading the
applet. There are various applets and various preferences, so maybe just focus
on a few ones and document the process. Unfortunately, different javacards
behave differently and there's no universal loading procedure.

I personally use gpj from sf.net, it provides a simpler interface than gpshell
for me.

--
Martin Paljak
http://martin.paljak.pri.ee