On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Martin Paljak <mar...@paljak.pri.ee> wrote:
> My main goals and improvement areas in OpenSC are:

<snip>

1. Make OpenSC secured?

The fact that OpenSC locks the reader for its own use for the duration
of the session is the most critical issue OpenSC has.
As a result two applications that uses PKCS#11 at the same time either
cannot work at the same time, or can access the card without
authentication.

A stateless mode should be implemented... [1], it has nothing to do
with the card features, but credential caching.

As for PINPAD readers, there are some cards that has a feature of
authentication cookie that is given after initial authentication, this
cookie is valid as long as there is power to the card. So the
algorithm is as follows: Lock reader, authenticate using PINPAD,
acquire cookie, unlock reader. After that a normal sequence of
stateless operation can be executed while the cookie is the
authentication credential.

Because of the lack of this feature I could not offer OpenSC to any enterprise.

2. Support biometrics match-on-card? This feature is missing from open
source and Linux drivers. If you go toward java cards, an applet can
be implemented in order to do so, maybe using libfprint [2].

Alon.

[1] http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/ticket/186
[2] http://reactivated.net/fprint/wiki/Libfprint