Anders Rundgren wrote:
> Is my assumption that the amount of PKCS #11 needed for doing
> TLS-client-cert auth or S/MIME is close to nothing?
>
> I also guess that the CryptAPI support needed for AD login
> with a certificate is very small, right?

It could be zero if you have the right card. Windows 7 comes with
support for PIV. Other cards need a CSP from a vendor or OpenSC.
The card management on the AD side is the Achilles heel.

On Linux, a combination of pam_krb5, Kerberos with PKINIT, PKCS11
from OpenSC, OpenSC and pcsc-lite will let you login to AD too.
Its all available in current releases.

> I'm asking because Peter's idea to emulate PKCS #11 directly
> is horrendous if the entire spec is to be followed but could
> turn out to be a no-brainer if you only need to enumerate keys,
> open, sign and close.

That sounds too optimistic. You don't want you card or device
signing just anything.

> Anders

  Douglas E. Engert  <deeng...@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory