Douglas E. Engert wrote:
<snip>

>> I'm asking because Peter's idea to emulate PKCS #11 directly
>> is horrendous if the entire spec is to be followed but could
>> turn out to be a no-brainer if you only need to enumerate keys,
>> open, sign and close.
>
> That sounds too optimistic. You don't want you card or device
> signing just anything.

Not sure I got that.  Cards sign whatever users instruct them to do.

At least using Java's JCE there are no other operations than I
just mentioned and I don't see why there should be anything
more to authentication unless you are thinking about PINs
but that was sort of understood.

What I'm missing?

Then there a class of cards that do not fit this description
such as passports, health cards etc but they are unlikely to
be candidates for a new token, it is an entirely different
market.

Anders