Hello,

On Jul 23, 2010, at 7:35 PM, Felipe Blauth wrote:
> I'm going to start a project in wich I need to have interoperability between
> smart cards. Since not all cards are supported by OpenSC I would like some
> advice on the ideas I already have:
>
> 1) I've been studying PKCS#11 interface and it's interation with LIBP11 and I
> find out  a good starting point there. Since I need more functions that are
> implemented by LIBP11 and opensc-pkcs11.so (like destruction of objects, keys
> and certificates) my idea is to extend LIBP11 with new functions and use
> private implementations of PKCS#11, since LIBP11 already provide an easy way
> to load PKCS#11 modules. By doing so, after a card is inserted, I could load
> and try a set of modules and find the correct one for the card inserted and
> use it.  I've tested the LIBP11 examples with libaetpkss.so (the PKCS#11
> module of starcos cards) and worked well. If I do that I might contribute
> with LIBP11 project by adding new functions to it.
If you use PKCS#11, you'll be just fine.

What functionality is missing from libp11? Why not use PKCS#11 directly,
without additional layers between your application and the PKCS#11 library?
Have you checked the other PKCS#11 related libraries [1] in the wiki?

> 2) My second approach, and maybe harder, is to work directly with winscard
> interface, using pcsc-lite implementations. I think I will stuck in this
> approach because, as far as I know, there are some default APDU's that work
> with every card, but there's a lot that differ from card to card. My main
> question is: if I initialize a PKCS#15 structure using pkcs15-init
> --create-pkcs15  will I have a default set of APDU's?
No, not really. That's why OpenSC is a collection of different card drivers.
PKCS#15 only defines the structure, not the commands to retrieve them.

[1]
http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/DeveloperInformation#Toolsandlibraries

--
Martin Paljak