On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 13:42 +0300, Martin Paljak wrote:
> Providing "official unofficial" .deb and .rpm packages would be nice
> (as said in a previous e-mail). Feel free to work on that.

Not sure.

The availability of packages is linked to the Debian release schedule.
After Debian Squeeze is released, it is possible to ask maintainers to
release packages.

Ubuntu is a derivate from Debian and will follow. Other RPM distros are
less interesting IMHO, as deb is really the referred choice today.

Let's make it simple: if/when packagers feel a political will to make
frequent releases, up-to-date packages will be available. Releasing an
old branch is an encouragement for packagers to sit and do nothing but
wait.

To come back to the example of OpenSSL 1.0, I hope we agree that 99,99%
of users use OpenSSL 0.98. Therefore nearly no-one, except maybe
developers, are using the new 1.0 branch.

Releasing two different versions of a software is simply not workable in
free software. This splits the community of users and the efforts are
wasted.

In the case of OpenSC, the community is rather small. Very few people
are using smartcards compared to the potential market. Splitting the
community in two between 0.11.x and 0.12 would make some harm.

Kind regards,