On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 16:36 +0300, Martin Paljak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Aug 30, 2010, at 2:52 PM, Emanuele Pucciarelli wrote:
> >> The handful of drivers with insecure operations I was talking about, I
> >> got with the following command: grep -n OPENSSL libopensc/card-*.c
> >>
> >> But looking closer to each drivers source, I must confess that there are
> >> only two of them affected:
> >>
> >> http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/browser/trunk/src/libopensc/card-westcos.c#L1244
> >> http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/browser/trunk/src/libopensc/card-rutoken.c#L1376
> >
> > Looking at card-westcos.c:1117, I'd say that the "insecure mode" is
> > only used with cards that do not have on-board RSA capabilities, but
> > do have a private exportable key. In other words, it should only be a
> > fallback.
> There used to be built in signaling for such scenarios, together with
> SC_ERROR_EXTRACTABLE_KEY return key that was not handled/implemented by the
> generic libopensc. That was not used and is removed since r4645 [1]
>
> Cards that don't support native RSA keys (meaning keys that can not be used
> for on-board operations) should be unsupported by default by OpenSC. Support
> for native but extractable keys is a whole different story. I doubt there are
> any modern smart cards that don't support native RSA these days. At least
> there is no reason to fake the support in OpenSC.
>

> > On the other hand, it really seems that RSA is only done in software
> > with card-rutoken.c. Perhaps that device does not support RSA in
> > hardware at all?
>
> I suggest to remove the offending code and pay closer attention in the future
> to avoid such code.

Possibly libksba could replace openssl in the future. It provides the
functionality required by opensc (certificate and public key handling)
but without the cryptographic operations. I haven't used it in the past,
therefore I can't tell you any details. But it may be a target of
evaluation.

http://www.gnupg.org/related_software/libksba/index.en.html
http://cvs.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/src/ksba.h?revision=322&root=KSBA&view=markup