Am Montag 30 August 2010, um 22:13:34 schrieb Andre Zepezauer:
> what do you think of dropping the possibility to initialise CardOS smart
> cards in 0.11.14? The reason of doing so, is to stop the production of
> more of these questionable split-key cards.

Very bad idea. CardOS is working very well (at least for me).

In my tests the old split-key code worked ok, the new code with the new
format without split-key, and the new code still worked with old split-key
cards (well, not sure if you can modify them a lot, but at least use them).
also I have cards initialized by siemens and they work with both versions
of opensc.

> People who want to initialise CardOS are then forced to do this with
> either 0.11.13 or 0.12.X. Hopefully they chose the newer release,
> because it comes with an improved initialisation for CardOS. No more
> split-keys here! Cards initialised with 0.12.0 should work with the
> 0.11.X releases too. Verification of this fact is required of cause.

IIRC new cards work with old opensc too, true. but I'd need to check
once more. (-> use. modify is a different story...)

> Another fact is that for example Ubuntu 10.04 and Debian Squeeze will
> stay with the 0.11.X branches for at least the next three years.

they don't even fix bugs. or at least it is a __HUGE__ task to get a bug
fix into either distribution. so big, I gave up.

all we can do - from my point of view - is to create well working releases,
work with the packages, so the new release is packaged well, and that has
to happen way before a new ubuntu or debian release is even close to the
freeze. for debian that opportunity slipped away in the last months,
for ubuntu you need to work hard about 6-4 months before the release.

> The
> same holds for other distributions with a long release cycle (RHEL has
> seven years of support I think). The imagination that someone could
> easily produce new split-key cards for the next few years isn't very
> appealing to me.

RHEL includes opensc? that would be new to me. I guess RHEL only includes
a small, limited set of packages with red hat support? they have coolkey,
so why would they include and maintain another solution for smart cards?

> Too much numbers and bad wording, I know. But what do you think of it?
> If this could be feasible?

if you are aware of bugs or problems, why not spend your time on debugging
the issues? the lines of code changed (related to cardos split key) in the
last three years was maybe 50? so it is not very much code that needs to
be looked at and debugged to find out, if something isn't working as expected.

Regards, Andreas