On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 15:44 +0200, Andre Zepezauer wrote:
> it's hard to imagine that the demand of these devices is still so
> limited, because they fit nicely into every laptop/netbook with SD
> card
> slot. A lot better than every usb key or smart card.

The format of crypto devices, whether it be smartcard, USB token or SD
card is secondary.

IMHO, the relatively low demand for hardware encryption devices is the
result of history:

When smartcards were invented, patents did a lot of harm to the
technology, driving cost up and technology down. During years, the
market was only banks and large companies.

In the past years, the ability to store keys pairs in so-called secure
software stores, like Iceweasel or Internet Explorer, is offering a
low-cost solution to the end-users. In marketing, the bad product kills
the good one.

The solution for selling encryption devices is not hardware, we already
have very good hardware around. The solution is software and integration
in the key management systems of OSes: Seahorse, Gnome-Keyring, Network
Managers, Apple Keychain. We should make GUIs to manage smartcards and
have better integration.