> you could use something like this:
> pkcs15-crypt --key 3b8d4e --input cipher.bin --decipher -R
>
> The only requirement is libpcsclite. Everything else could be turned
> off. Correct?

You've lost me!

I already have the data object stored on my smartcard and I need a
stripped-down pkcs11-tool/other program to just read its contents and do
nothing else. I do not want to use any crypt/decrypt/decipher etc
operations - just plain read (and login if the data object has been
stored with the private flag on). That's all.

I already use libpcsclite, but there are other dependencies on (mainly)
openct as well as the pcsc-lite libraries you mention (libdbus-1.so.3,
libhal.so.1 are two of those).

> If you don't want a running pcscd, you could try to get libpcsclite to
> access the usb stack directly. In other words, build a wrapper around
> libccid with an api compatible with libpcsclite. Not an easy task, I
> know.

I have two different tokens and both of them can't work without pcscd
daemon running (which itself depends on openct also running and so on...).