Am Mittwoch 05 Januar 2011, um 18:26:10 schrieb Peter Stuge:
> The motivations are, again:
>
> * to have one canonical mailing list address
>   + meaning that mail to other addresses has some handling
>     to help guide posters to the canonical address (ie. something
>     better than current forwarding)

fine with me, we can implement it as suggested.

> * without lists. is more intuitive, shorter, and prettier, to me

and that is a good reason to force everyone else to switch to
a different address?

here is the statistic from okt/nov/dec 2010:
r...@opensc-project:/var/log/syslog# grep "to=<opensc-de...@opensc-project"
2010-1* |grep -v NOQUEUE |grep status=sent |wc -l
92
r...@opensc-project:/var/log/syslog# grep "to=<opensc-de...@lists.opensc-
project" 2010-1* |grep -v NOQUEUE |grep status=sent |wc -l
521

92 mails to opensc-devel@ and 521 to opensc-de...@lists..

further analysis even shows even less mails to opensc-devel@ :
r...@opensc-project:/var/log/syslog#  egrep `grep "to=<opensc-de...@opensc-
project" 2010-1* |grep -v NOQUEUE |grep status=sent |cut -d" " -f7 |cut -d: -
f1|xargs echo |sed -e "s/ /|/g" ` 2010-1* |grep from= |cut -d" " -f8 |sort |
uniq -c |sort -r -n
-> 8 from andre.zepezauer, 6 from martin, 4 from ludovic, 4 from alon,
2 from viktor, 2 from s4ms0n0v, 4 from "no-reply" and "donot-reply", 2 from
gmane.

so we are talking about 26 emails by 6 people. wouldn't it be easiest
to ask those 6 people, all well known contributors to opensc, to use the
right email address?

At least I completely fail why changing the email address that everyone else
uses properly for years is any good. why ask hundreds of users to change
their email settings (mail filters, contact lists, address books etc.) only
because of you like one form more than the other.

and for me the whole argument about the length of the email address is
rediculous. these days I click on a mailto: link on the web page and start
typing the email. the only time I ever enter an email address, is when I have
a new contact on the phone and they tell me their address. at least it is this
way for me, and I do think that about everyone works this way these days.

so with this statistic, is there any reason not to simply remove the aliases
for the old names and send a mail to those 6 people and ask the to update
their addressbook?

Regards, Andreas