On Mon, 2011-08-22 at 07:41 +0200, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> Am Samstag 20 August 2011, 09:34:21 schrieb Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos:
> > On 08/18/2011 11:11 AM, Hans Witvliet wrote:
> > > Perhaps a ludicreous question, but i post it anyway... Some
> > > creditcard companies or banks supply their customer with cards plus
> > > pin-code in order to identify themselfs during financial
> > > transactions.

> > > Can these cards also be used for anything else?
> >
> > These cards typically support the EMV protocol (or a subset). They
> > have the ability to perform RSA and 3DES, so in theory there could
> > be a vendor (or manufacturer) that releases a PKCS #11 module that
> > allows you to access them. However, without it the operations
> > available to an EMV card are not sufficient to "emulate" PKCS #11
> > (and be used in other than banking applications).
>
> IIRC for EMV protocoll you need to hand in the amount of money you want to
> deduct, wether you want offline or online transactions, the service code of
> the terminal (i.e. atm or store or ...) etc. that doesn't map well to pkcs#11.
>
> Andreas

Tnx Andreas,Martin, Ludovic, Nikos, many others....

You have givven me plenty material, to read, (and as for serendipity,
relevant stuff for other projects also...)

But the main objective is to check if the cards that are issued by bank
or creditcompany can be legaly used   for identifycation/authentication
for other purposes.

>From what i deduced so far, is that on those (mostly java-) card is a
specific applet stored, but no general-purpose key/certificates.
So i presume that if i want to use a bank-card, i can only do that with
the full coorporation of that bank.  (simular to the problem we have
with mal-functioning safesign applet & driver ;-)

Hans