On 2012-01-19 09:38, NdK wrote:
> Il 19/01/2012 09:16, Peter Stuge ha scritto:
>> Christian Hohnstaedt wrote:
>>> Anything that can be signed by the card can be signed by a software
>>> key, too.
>> Yes of course. But the point is that the card can come with the
>> special key pre-installed.
> I see at least two ways here:
> 1) the 'technical' way: have a card that, when issued (= before being
> given to the user), already contains a cert for a key generated on-card.
> When the user requests a new cert, the old (referencing the same private
> key) must be included as a proof (actually, the 'public key' part could
> be taken from this cert, simplifying CSR that could even be a simple web
> form for the other infos).
> 2) the 'legal' way (might not be applicable everywhere): when the user
> submits a CSR, (s)he must swear that the key have been generated on-card
> and is not extractable
>
> It's the usual chicken-and-egg problem. :)

This is since long solved problem.  It is an intrinsic part of GlobalPlatform
where you don't really use CSR's and PoP's but a session-key to secure that you
are really talking to the card.

On http://webpki.org/auth-token-4-the-cloud.html
you can find a lot of material on a system that takes this concept to
a new level by making the entire provisioning session a transaction.

I hope to present it on FOSDEM but I haven't heard from Martin yet...

-- Anders