On 2/28/2012 8:47 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> On 2012-02-28 12:53, Andy Walls wrote:

>>> Well, you'll have to build a solution that proerly layers and abstracts
>>> the "reader" from the "smart card" that will be difficult.
>>
>> Sorry, I meant to type:
>>
>> 'You'll have to build a solution that properly layers and abstracts
>> the "reader" from the "smart card"'.
>
> Or convert it to PIV as Douglas indicated is supported.
> Then you get built-in support from at least Apple and Microsoft.

Its not just convert it to PIV, as PIV standards cover the card,
not the reader.

http://fips201ep.cio.gov/apl.php

Lists "Rransparent Reader" which AFAIK does not a requirement
CCID, allowing vendor to provide reader drivers.)  (I don't see
the iKey4000 on the list yet.)

There is still the issue that some of these tokens appear to be CCID
compliant, and some are not and you can not tell until you buy the
token.

The vendor could provide the Windows or Mac "reader" driver for
the non-CCID tokens and still use the Microsoft or Apple PIV
"card driver". (I am just speculating on this...)
There are other readers vendors that provide drivers for their
readers that are not CCID so why not this vendor.

> Regards,
> Anders
>

>> Regards,
>> Andy