I believe the general concensus was to support all three (four?) asset server
configs (internal, local, grid, hg(?))  but refactor the code paths.

While I do understand the confusion, I have already shown how we could
re-arrange the services so that we get a uniform set of interfaces - ideally,
the config option should turn from specifying a mode to specifying a module and
its config.

Best regards,Stefan AnderssonTribal Media AB> Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 22:29:18
+0000> From: mela...@t-data.com> To: opensim-dev@lists.berlios.de> Subject: Re:
[Opensim-dev] asset_database = "local" or "grid"?> > Hi,> > funny you would
suggest that. That is one of the code paths I > suggested removing a long time
ago, and was booed and rejected.> > Melanie> > > Justin Clark-Casey wrote:> >
Chris Hart wrote:> >> Setting asset_database to "local" will store your assets
in a .db sqlite> >> database on your file system, and not in MySQL at all. If
you run in> >> grid mode, you should always set this to "grid" to avoid
confusion> >> unless you are connecting to someone else's grid and want your
assets to> >> be stored locally and not on their asset server. > >> > >> I have
to say I made that same mistake when first starting out with> >> opensim and
had to migrate all my assets over to my database server.> >> Several others
have made the same mistake and I've had to help them to> >> migrate their
assets too - is the local storage model really that widely> >> used? Should it
actually be the default? For standalone I'm guessing it> >> is ignored(?), but
in grid mode I've found it just causes pain and> >> confusion.> > > > Chris is
right - I find the asset_database switch annoying because it catches me out on
occasion.> > > > The problem with using local assets on a grid is one of grid
asset blakanization - people coming to your region can't > > see your assets
(because their requests go to the grid asset service rather than your local
asset store) and when you go > > to other people's regions you can't rez
objects you created on your local region.> > > > But it strikes me that now, if
you wanted to retain your regions assets locally, you could set up your region
as a > > hypergrid enabled region, as Hypergrid regions use the local asset
store (there is conceptually no global).> > > > In view of this, I'd like to
completely remove the asset_database option. This would mean that in standalone
and > > hypergrid modes, the db used would always be local and in grid mode the
grid asset service would always be used.> > > > Are there any objections to
this?> > > >> > >> Chris / Strawberry Fride> >> > >> -----Original
Message-----> >> From: opensim-dev-boun...@lists.berlios.de> >>
[mailto:opensim-dev-boun...@lists.berlios.de] On Behalf Of Ai Austin> >> Sent:
01 February 2009 17:12> >> To: opensim-dev@lists.berlios.de> >> Subject:
[Opensim-dev] asset_database = "local" or "grid"?> >> > >> I have MySQL running
on the same system that the UGAIM servers are > >> running on at the moment,
though we want to separate some of them out...> >> > >> I am wondering if I set
asset_database = "grid" rather than > >> asset_database = "local" is there any
performance penalty... or will > >> it run identically if the assets are in
8.0.233 / Virus Database: 270.10.16/1926 - Release Date:> >> 01/30/09 17:31:00>