> > i thought the reasoning goes also the other way around:
> > "if someone has a use case where they'd benefit from using Tahoe with
> > OpenSim, they are free to do it"
> >
> > if it doesn't give much benefit for OpenSim otherwise, that doesn't
> > matter, as long as people who want to use it can, without hurting
> > OpenSim (by requiring a lot of / strange, otherwise unbeneficial
> > changes in the core).
>
> +1 As Stefan said, we're a general platform that should allow people to
> plugin the modules that they want. OpenSim
> should benefit the people using it, not those people primarily benefiting
> OpenSim.

I think we have a general confusion here over whether we're discussing the
technonolgy for inclusion in core, or whether the technology would be a cool
thing in general.

We would probably never include that kind of experimental code in core without
it being tried out first - that's what the forge is for.

But OpenSim as a platform should always strive to make third party
implementations like this as easy as possible (examples in point, hypergrid,
Cable Beach) and listen carefully to the suggestions and wishes of plugin
implementators.

> > Ok well so be it for OSGrid.
> >
> > But perhaps some other user, maybe e.g. some intranet somewhere, has it
> > differently.
>
> +1 again

So write it. It's that simple. We promise to be there to help anyone wanting to
have a go with documentation and general advice.

> > Feel free, but there is a wealth of good software as GPL, and I sure
> > hope to be able to use those too. Like I'm happy to use Linux to run
> > our company servers, and it being GPL is just fine for me. But I'm also
> > happy that Ogre is BSD so we are free to license our games however we
> > need.
>
> +1 I have no problems with the GPL general, just this particular project is
> BSD and I think BSD is better here. If
> other people prefer BSD always than that is their own personal opinion.

Again, that is partly what the forge is for. You can have GPL modules on the
forge. It's actually a quite good way to sidestep the whole issue.

> > but can a 3rd party plugin for using them together still
> > exist? I'm sure it can it an at least internally if I don't tell
> > anyone! :p
>
> Yes, I'm guessing this is what Adam meant - we couldn't bundle Tahoe plugins
> with OpenSim, not that you wouldn't be free
> to write a third party plugin for using it.

*looks at the forge*

> > I sure hope this doesn't explose to a huge license discussion, please
> > just point to a better place or reply in private if that would happen.

Again, we are working to get a better structure with regards to what is
included in the core distribution and what is not. That is an ongoing process,
but:

* Experimental modules not implementing reference client behaviour should be
tried out on the forge first. This has the added benefit of boosting the API
thru external change request sources.

* Modules that rely on linking resources under non-compatible licenses should
be developed and maintained on the forge.

* We are constantly thinking about how to better integrate the forge projects
and the core distro. That is also an ongoing process.

Please, feel free to start hacking away on an customized and prototypical
IAssetDataPlugin on the forge. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

/Stefan