This in itself is a flawed assumption.  While OpenSim is certainly not intended
to be an SL clone, there has been *no*
statement from core that Hypergrid is the one true way forward for the future -
as far as I'm concerned it still has the
status of an experimental architecture.  Some people in core may see it as the
future, others may yet to be convinced -
we're at a very early stage.  Core is not a homogenous group.

Ideally, one could argue that OpenSim would be entirely neutral as regards to
architectures and environments.  Every
single module would be outside core, and people would use downstream OpenSim
distributions instead (e.g. a 'Classic
Second Life grid OpenSim', or a 'Next Generation Hypergrid OpenSim).  Then
those distributions could move forward with a
single vision that their developers have all signed up to.

However, pragmatically, the project is not mature or big enough for that to
happen right now.  In order to get critical
mass there's a trade-off between the architectures built in to OpenSim and
those which remain modular.  Since there is a
lot of interest in Hypergrid (and it may be the 'next generation web', whatever
that is) then it's more valuable to have
it within core than outside it.  But equally there's still heavy usage of grid
and standalone modes, and these are not
disappearing any time soon.

justincc
Justin Clark-Casey