Thank you for the excellent summary! Relevant code snippets always
make life easier. :)

So far, you're testing whether response.get("getData").getData()
[owner.getId()]["setID"] is null. This will return an error if
response.get("getData").getData()[owner.getId()] is null. You should
be able to use this to your advantage: if
response.get("getData").getData()[owner.getId()] returns null, the
field has not been created for that person. Please let me know if this
works for you.

- Jason