This is an interesting issue. Can you try clearing your browser's
cache and trying again? You may also try saving the following code
into a new gadget file and seeing whether it works. Please report back
after you have cleared your cache and tested the following gadget.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<Module>
  <ModulePrefs title="Prefs Test">
    <Require feature="opensocial-0.7"/>
  </ModulePrefs>
  <Content type="html">
    <![CDATA[
      <script type="application/javascript">
        function test() {
          var prefs = new gadgets.Prefs();
          alert(prefs.getLang());
        }
      </script>
      <button onclick="test()">Alert language</button>
    ]]>

  </Content>
</Module>

- Jason