Keep in mind that users must perform a meaningful action before
posting an update, in line with the developer guidelines. Posting an
update on install or view is not enough if they don't actually
interact with the app. See below for more policies on app updates:

http://code.google.com/apis/orkut/docs/orkutdevguidelines.html#updates

This article linked below help you get started with activities. Just
make sure you're using them effectively.

http://code.google.com/p/opensocial-resources/wiki/ActivityStreams

- Jason