If your user is making multiple requests to your app through firebug,
s/he can already see the URI that the Orkut proxy would hit. So,
there's no reason the attack wouldn't shift to bypass the makeRequest
layer altogether - in fact, it would be faster if it did skip
makeRequest.  OAuth verification could cut that possibility out, but
that's still being done with your CPU time.

However, this scenario seems really far-fetched to me. If a single
user can generate enough traffic from firebug to cripple your site, it
sounds like a scaling problem on your end. There's a practical limit
to the number of instances of firebug on person could control against
you and therefore the number of requests-per-second sent, so I'm
really having a hard time finding this as plausible. The traffic from
a few hundred thousand users is much larger than any 1 user could
generate through a firebug console.

Obviously the only real solution in any of these cases is to implement
whatever scaling & protection you would for a normal website/web
service, on your end.