Hi Devendra and Carlos,

I think the main confusion here is that the OAuth playground (doc) is
based on 3-legged OAuth, while the orkut REST documentation mainly
describes how gadget servers can talk to the orkut server using
2-legged OAuth. I think we should be updating the guide to eliminate
any confusion.

Please refer to the OAuth documentation in full here, and then consider
the following:

1. Yes, HMAC-SHA1 is good. I would use one of the OAuth libraries to
get my OAuth signature (which is really just the encoded version of the
OAuth shared secret that you got after gadget verification). I have no
idea what exact signing technique they use unless I took a look at
their code, but I can tell you that they are expected to follow the
guidelines laid down here.

2. The oauth_token is a term specific to 3-legged OAuth (again, please
follow the OAuth doc above), and that's why you don't find it mentioned
in the guide.

3. The OAuth scope is used simply to limit which services your
application has access to. It's not a website on its own.

4. That point in question is again specific to the gadget server-orkut
server conversation, where "application" is a gadget that you install,
which then authorises the gadget server to be able to pull your profile
data.

It seems your purpose would be better solved using the client library,
which is not REST and which uses 3-legged OAuth. I believe at the
moment we have a much fuller support for RPC than for REST.

I hope that helps!
Prashant