Tower,

2-legged OAuth for firing either REST/RPC requests to orkut is useful
only in the context of an app server requesting details about the
users who have the app installed, as Robson said and as also mentioned
in the guide (http://code.google.com/apis/orkut/docs/rest/
developers_guide_protocol.html). So using this approach you'll be able
to make the requests only on behalf of all users (with the
xoauth_requestor_id parameter -- see above doc) who have installed
your app on their profiles, not otherwise. That might explain why your
first user returns expected results and the second doesn't, usually
complaining about a "permission denied."

Prashant