I also experienced this in the application I created. I tried the code
that is working in OpenSocial Dev App and it doesn't work on the two
apps I created.
The first app I used version 0.8 of opensocial and the second app I
used 0.7. This is the code snippet I get from OpenSocial Dev App
(orkut):
function sendEmail(title, body) {
var params = [];
params[opensocial.Message.Field.TITLE] = title;
params[opensocial.Message.Field.TYPE] =
opensocial.Message.Type.EMAIL;

var message = opensocial.newMessage(body, params);
var recipient = "VIEWER";
opensocial.requestSendMessage(recipient, message, callback);
};

function callback(data) {
if (data.hadError()) {
alert("There was a problem:" + data.getErrorCode());
} else {
output("Ok");
}
};

sendEmail("This is a test email", "How are you doing?");

Its possible that the main reason is because I haven't submitted my
application to orkut yet. Am I right with this assumption? Please help.