On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 12:24:05PM -0700, Tom Childers wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Dean Roehrich wrote:
> >On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 10:57:54AM -0700, Tom Childers wrote:
> >>Petr,
> >>
> >>I have several questions about this project.  Since this is an open
> >>case, I'm changing the cc: to lsarc-ext at sun.com.
> >>
> >>I am wondering what requirement we are trying to fill with this
> >>project. FindBugs is downloadable, gets updated frequently, and is
> >>not
> >>prepackaged on any other platform I know of.  The version you are
> >>shipping is already out of date; the 1.3.6 release became available a
> >>few days ago.
> >
> >If frequency of release of the upstream project is a component of
> >the ARC's
> >decision to accept or reject said project, then those guidelines
> >should be
> >recorded somewhere.  We have seen other FOSS cases which admit to
> >porting the
> >version which was current at the time of the OSR but are out of date
> >by the
> >time the ARC cases are submitted.
>
> Obviously, this is not a part of ARC guidelines. But the question
> remains, how will the project team keep up the frequent release
> schedule? And support multiple versions, since there seems to be some
> dependency between test cases and junit releases? I agree that we have
> absolutely seen other ARC cases where this becomes a major issue; if
> we are going to create this dependency, how will we address the issue?

You're asking if they're going to port every point release, or if, once per
time-unit (week, quarter, year, whatever) they'll just pick the latest at that
time?  Doesn't this apply to every FOSS case?  Where does this question
belong--ARC, C-Team, Management?  It's not clear to me that it belongs at the
ARC level.

Before we tie findbugs to junit, would someone please confirm whether or not
such a dependency exists?  It's not clear from the case notes.

Dean