Some background here: the original draft proposal for this case was for a
set of read-only link properties, which Sowmini and I (and perhaps others)
commented on.  I asked Ted/Venki to instead build a show-ib subcommand
because (a) it follows what we've already done with other media and (b) it
seemed more convenient given that none of the things being modeled as
properties could be administratively controlled.  (I never saw the updated
materials with the proposed output from show-ib; I agree with Seb's
suggestion for the new output format.)

Regarding also having administrative link properties: I see limited value
in exposing inherently read-only things as link properties, as they
clutter up the show-linkprop output and cannot be operated on by any of
the other linkprop subcommands -- and the set of possible values is likely
something better explained in a manpage.  This is why the dladm/wifi case
that introduced link properties had both a show-wifi subcommand and a
smaller set of link properties that could be configured.  (Note that there
are still cases when a property may be read-only -- e.g., it may be that
the property can only be set by some subset of drivers, or only if other
bits of configuration are set a certain way.)  I will concede that there
are already some inherently read-only properties in dladm (grr).

--
meem