Paul Durrant writes:
> James Carlson wrote:
> >
> > It's a fast-track, so there's no voting (yet), but if we were voting,
> > I'd be opposed to elevating db_mblk.  It just can't work well enough
> > to be stable -- you can have multiple mblks that point to the same
> > dblk.  It's sometimes useful for examining a dump, but that's about
> > it.
>
> I agree that one cannot make arbitrary use of db_mblk since in the
> general case it will point to only one of many mblk_ts that may be
> linked to the dblk_t. However, in the case of the free_func(), db_ref is
> guaranteed to be 1 so db_mblk always points at the one and only mblk_t.

I've never viewed that as a serious limitation.  You can always
arrange things such that the free_arg is either a structure containing
a pointer to the mblk_t or is just the mblk_t itself.

> If the general preference is to have the mblk_t passed as an argument to
> free_func() then I'm not necessarily against it; I just think it's
> slightly pointless in this circumstance.

I think the uncomfortable part is that it forever nails down the
structure offset and functional behavior for db_mblk, because we can't
predict who might be using it.

--
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <james.d.carlson at sun.com>