Steve Nash writes:
> Casper.Dik at Sun.COM wrote:
> > I think it should be a TCR: you MUST build your applications such that
> > $LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not be set.
> >

> This is reasonable, if we rebuild everything with -R, and always install
> the software in the same location.  We had historically let users
> install the software wherever they wanted.

That shouldn't be a problem.  Check out $ORIGIN:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/805-3050/6j2tng0mg?l=en&a=view&q=$ORIGIN

> >> They are all Bash scripts.
> >
> > Why not a POSIX shell (such as ksh93)?  And if they are started from a
> > command line, why are they end with .sh?
> >

> The .sh suffix is easily changed -- no problem.  As far as Bash vs.
> ksh93, it was because we were more familiar with Bash -- is it necessary
> to switch?

Besides being a bit odd, which probably doesn't matter here, bash has
historically been in only the SUNWCall metacluster -- meaning that
it's not installed by default, and the user has to specifically ask
for it.

By contrast, ksh93 is in SUNWCmreq, and is thus on all systems.

(I doubt that will matter for OpenSolaris IPS, but since S10 seems to
be a target, it does matter there.)

--
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <james.d.carlson at sun.com>