>This is reasonable, if we rebuild everything with -R, and always install
>the software in the same location.  We had historically let users
>install the software wherever they wanted.

We being?  (I don't remember many products we worked that way).

Also, in Solaris you can use -R '$ORIGIN/../lib' and make the library
path depend on where the software is installed

>>> They are all Bash scripts.
>>
>> Why not a POSIX shell (such as ksh93)?  And if they are started from a
>> command line, why are they end with .sh?
>>

>The .sh suffix is easily changed -- no problem.  As far as Bash vs.
>ksh93, it was because we were more familiar with Bash -- is it necessary
>to switch?

No, it doesn't matter except that I have only one qualm: I believe that
ksh93 will stay on the "POSIX way" and we're not sure about bash.
We don't control either, though.

>When Chromium starts applications on the render nodes, it needs to be
>able to open up X clients on the local X server.  These X servers are
>typically sitting at the login screen at the time.

So what if someone logs in?  Perhaps I don't quite understand the usage
model here.  These X servers require hardware, or can they be Xvfb
servers?

Casper