On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:17:33PM -0800, Chris Quenelle wrote:
> So I hear two issues here:
>
> 1. /usr/compilers is a bad name because it is too generic
>
> Please suggest another name to give us an idea of what you're looking for.
> I consider any reference to "Sun Studio" to be inappropriate because
> we're not delivering all of Sun Studio, or even all of the compilers
> from Sun Studio.  Do you have other ideas for a good name?

If there will be just one version, and that version will be invokable
through /usr/bin, then just deliver into

/usr/bin
/usr/lib/sunstudio (or whatever)

If we want the ability to use a "links package" to control what version
is available through /usr/bin, then: a) wouldn't that also be true of
GCC? and b) if the version can be selected via PATH, why bother with
links packages?

If we drop the multiple versions (multiple versions -> /opt) and links
packages (there's only one version, after all) then we don't need
/usr/compilers, or /usr/foo or /usr/<whatever>.

> 2. The project should anticipate delivering multiple versions
> of the compilers into Nevada, and/or the project should deliver
> multiple versions as part of this case.

I'm happy with the "only one version in /usr, other versions in /opt"
answer.  I think that's a fine answer that simplifies other things.

> I think there has been a lot of discussion about this already,
> I really can't think of anything new to say on this topic,
> but I'll give it a try.

Well, I just did think of something new to add.  Namely that "one
version in /usr" should imply "no need for links pkgs" and "just install
into /usr/bin and /usr/lib."  I.e., no need for /usr/compilers.