Ceri Davies writes:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 10:36:35PM +0100, Casper.Dik at sun.com wrote:
> >

> > >This kind of precludes adding any new options to /usr/ucb/ps, ever.  I
> > >don't believe that this is a particularly bad thing, just want to be
> > >crystal clear that this is what we want to do.
> >
> > As Garrett says that would "violate the principle of least surprise"; the
> > only problem would be that adding a,, e.g., "-f" option to /usr/ucb/ps would
> > make "/usr/ucb/ps -ef" do something different.
> >
> > But you can still add the new option to /usr/ucb/ps.
>
> I would expect this body to reject such a change given that it would
> change the behaviour, so I do believe that this case would essentially
> freeze the /usr/ucb/ps interface.

Right; there'd be some subtle changes that would occur if we allowed
that.

>  I personally have no problem with
> that.

Nor would I.  The whole point of /usr/ucb is to retain some
compatibility with ancient SunOS 4.x behavior, and it's not as though
*that* reference functionality will ever change.

--
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <james.d.carlson at sun.com>