On 2/13/2009 6:17 PM, John Plocher wrote:
>>     2)  Binutils will be installed directly into /usr/bin
>>         with no versioning.
>>

> Sorry, I'm now really confused.
>
> If there is no versioning, and everything will be installed directly
> into /usr/bin, then what is the directory
> "/usr/gnu/i386-pc-solaris2.11/bin/" used for and isn't the
> "...solaris2.11..." part of that directory name actually an OS version
> dependent string?  What happens when OpenSolaris moves from 2.11 to
> 2.12?  Why should the version of the OS impact the version of the
> compiler support tools?  ...etc...

This is something the GNU compiler chain and tools have done for ages.
(Emacs does it too I think.)

It does it so that the compilers and supporting tools can be installed
for multiple target platforms on the same host platform.
The "i386-pc-solaris2.11" is the string that Gnu uses to identify this
target platform. On SPARC (the last time I checked) it was:
sparc-sun-solaris2.11. At one point in time they used sunos5.x instead
of solaris2.x, and personally I preferred that (It seems more logical to
identify the kernel in the platform rather than 'operating env.',) but
it's probably too late to change that.

   -Kyle