I confess that I didn't realize we lacked client side caching in our
NFSv4.  I thought client side caching was one of the significant
benefits that NFSv4 brought to the table (mainly to compete with the
likes of AFS and DFS).

If we don't have client side caching in NFSv4, then I too worry that the
loss of functionality will leave us with a potentially significant
architectural hole.

Again, for folks on local networks, the network may not be the
bottleneck, but with VPNs and similar technologies increasing the global
reach of corporate networks, I think there is still a real business case
for client side caching.

So, please either provide information as to how this gap will be filled,
or evidence as to why it isn't necessary.

    -- Garrett