It seem to me that it would be helpful to have a registry of mine
extensions which projects
could check against. With planner and openproj these projects have
similar  functionality,
but it is at least theoretically possible to have two very different
projects use the same
mime extensions.

I suspect that on other systems, the last piece of software installed wins.

Joe Townsend