On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:59:15AM -0700, George Vasick wrote:

> I reviewed changes between the 1.4.2 and 1.4.12 version of the GNU m4
> preprocessor.  I found two new options:
>
> --debugfile=FILE
> --warn-macro-sequence[=REGEXP]
>
> These add additional diagnostic capability compared to the earlier release.
>
> I also ran the 1.4.2 test suite against version 1.4.12.  I found four
> differences in the results:
>
> - 3 due to formatting changes in in error diagnostics.  The messages are no
> longer prefixed with "m4:".
> - 1 due to a change in the WIDTH operand to eval().  Leading minus signs
> are now excluded when calculating the width of a field.
>
> Would this level of change be appropriate for an ARC review?

Perhaps a self-review case -- like a fast-track in terms of documentation,
but considered sufficiently obvious and non-controversial that even a week
is overkill for discussion time.

Personally, if the new interfaces or compatible change to existing
interfaces fall into obvious categories set up by previous ARC cases for a
component (eg, "Command line options: Uncommitted") and all incompatible
changes are to existing interfaces which are classified below Uncommitted,
then I myself probably wouldn't bother filing a case at all, though I'm
sure there will be a difference of opinion across the ARC community on
that.

Danek