Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith at sun.com> wrote:
>
>> John Plocher wrote:
>>> I believe FOSS *IS* Special - because doing a good job of integrating
>>> general cross-platform FOSS into OpenSolaris is actually HARDER than
>>> integrating something invented by the community specifically for the
>>> OS itself.
>> So it's not the FOSS license that makes it special - it's the external
>> control, for which we may or may not have some contribution to, that's
>> the difference.   Is there really any difference in the architecture
>
> If you have problems with the fact that other people control the development
> for their software, you need to rethink your relation to OSS.

Don't put words in my mouth.   I didn't say it was a problem, just that
it was different, and that the difference was not due to the license,
but the control, and that was what the ARC process has to adapt to deal
with.   If you paid any attention at all to what I do, you'd see that
I've spent years working to integrate OSS from the X community to
Solaris, to represent Solaris architectural constraints back to the X
community and to make the two work together for the benefit of both
the OpenSolaris and X.Org communities.

> The development is controlled by the people who make the work and BTW:
> if you like people from the community to write code for OpenSolaris, you of
> course need to allow them to decide on the future of OpenSolaris.

Yep, that's what we've been working on doing, and to a certain amount
have done - the people doing the work are making many of the decisions.

    -Alan Coopersmith-          alan.coopersmith at sun.com