How does a device driver know that it's a primary device?

There's no harm, is there, if a driver fails to publish this property?

One of the emails said that on SPARC the default graphics device is the
first graphics device found that can be controlled by the probe-list
words.  Do I assume correctly that this isn't necessarily so, for
example when the console device is a graphics device specified by the
OpenBoot NVRAM parameter output-device?

>  3.  Interface table
>
> Interface Name                  Classification          Comments
> primary-card driver property    Committed    primary graphics device
>
> Every frame buffer driver will create a "primary-card" for it. And
> the value is a boolean value. True on the primary device and false on
> the others.

  -- Eric