Eric Sultan:

> How does a device driver know that it's a primary device?
> There's no harm, is there, if a driver fails to publish this property?
On x86, the default graphics device is the one for which the SBIOS
has enabled I/O cycles on the entire devices path.   Only Xorg(libpciaccess)
on X86 requires this property now.   And this case make this property name
a generic one for the future  work  on SPARC.
  If the driver fails to publish this property,  the will lead to Xorg
can not
start on the system with two and more graphics controller attached.

> One of the emails said that on SPARC the default graphics device is
> the first graphics device found that can be controlled by the
> probe-list words.  Do I assume correctly that this isn't necessarily
> so, for example when the console device is a graphics device specified
> by the OpenBoot NVRAM parameter output-device?
Console device and the primary controller is not necessary the same,
though in most case they are the same.   As we discussed above,
Xorg(libpciaccess)
is not fully ready yet and the implementation of this property will be
in the future work.

--
Best Regards,
Ming.

-Edward Shu
-Solaris x86 Engineering, Sun Microsystems
-tele: +86-10-62673100